Monday, March 18, 2013

Travel Friendly Beauty

As I write this, I am in the air on a flight from Chicago to Detroit to assist a client for a couple days.  This is a pretty common occurrence in my life as my job requires that I take pretty regular trips.

I used to have a hard time traveling for work and being away from home but at the ripe old age of 32, it is really not something I mind.  I have created systems that allow me to feel as “at home” as one can when they are sleeping in hotel rooms and taking cabs everywhere.

A lot of the things I do to make traveling a fun experience have to do with my beauty routine.  Because, there is nothing more pathetic than feeling bad AND looking bad when you are out of town.

During the trip I am currently on, I am actually going to do something fun and non-work related while I am in Detroit (gasp!) which is pretty rare for me.  So, in preparation for aforementioned rare leisure event, I did the full version of my “Going Out of Town and I Feel Pretty, Oh So Pretty” beauty routine.

Here it is in all its superficial glory:

1.       More is…more 
On most of my work trips, I do consolidate my makeup and only take the necessities. For example, I often find products that will do two jobs, like a blush that has enough shimmer to also give me a highlight or a lipstick that can be used as a cheek stain. Check out Benefit for great makeup travel kits.

However, sometimes I don’t want to consolidate.  I don’t want to only bring what I need and be sensible.  I want to bring everything that I might possibility ever want in the case that something unexpected happens (Jack White is from Detroit – it is possible we might hang out).

2.      Fake it till you make it!
I have a secret to tell you all about myself that I dread admitting.  I am…..pale.  Very, very pale.  Like Interview with a Vampire pale (suck it, Twilight). 

Being pale is not cute.  I know that people say things like “porcelain complexion” and “peaches and cream skin” but frankly, that is all bullshit.  People look better when they are tan.  They look healthier, skinnier and generally more attractive when they have a little color to their skin.  Sorry if that offends anyone but don’t hate the player…hate the game.

Why am I weaving this dramatic tale of low pigmentation?  Because one of my favorite pre-travel beauty rituals is to fake tan.  A couple hours before I leave for the airport, I shower and exfoliate and slap on enough St. Tropez to make an Oompa Loompa proud. 

3.      You like my hair?  Oh, this is totally natural!
 So, my last and final "I feel pretty, oh so pretty" step is to straighten my hair.  

Stop right there!  I know you are about to say "Katie, I would kill for curly hair!  Why would you ever straighten it?"  I straighten my hair for the same reason you curl your hair - because it is fun to look a little different sometimes.

The day that I am leaving, I shower and after applying aforementioned fake tan - I pull my hair up in a wet bun.  The next morning I simply brush it out and throw some curls in with a curling iron for a bit of a Farrah Fawcett look and then I am ready to go.

What do you do to pretty yourself up before you travel?


                                                    En route to Detroit - fake tanned and ready to go!
                                                    Hair straightened and a little curled                
                                                   
                                                   Gorgeous Chicago from the sky!

No comments:

Post a Comment